The real time digital assistance system for manual production
Welcome to Smart Klaus
What is Smart Klaus ?
Smart Klaus is a camera based digital assistance system designed to deliver smart production technology by supporting operators with manual assembly processes in your factory. The Smart Klaus is an Automated Optical Inspection System - AOI - for use in manual and THT assembly stations. By performing real time assembly guidance and placement inspection, the operator can prevent defects from moving to the next process. Using Augmented Reality, the Smart Klaus will guide the operator through the assembly work process and ensure perfect quality in real time.
Four different models are offered:
- Smart Klaus SK Assembly for mounting and assembly places,
- Smart Klaus SK Inspect for end of line quality inspection
- Smart Klaus SK Ident for the identification of unlabeled items and
- Smart Klaus SK Receipt for the incoming goods department.
For detailed descriptions of the Smart Klaus models see below.
How does it work ?
Smart Klaus uses one or more cameras to monitor the work area. An image processing software analyzes the work in progress, guides the operator through the work steps and warns immediately if anything is wrong.
The picture shows an illustrative setup. Smart Klaus is optionally available with or without a work table. All components can also be easily mounted on existing worktables or production lines.
What are your benefits?
- Superior quality due to a permanent real time quality supervision.
- No loss of time and material caused by rework or rejects.
- Reduced training efforts for workers due to the automatic and permanent guidance of Smart Klaus.
- Cost reductions.
- Happy customers.
- Excellent competitiveness.
- Satisfied workers.
Smart Klaus models
- Simple teach-in of new or modified assembly instructions
- Step-by-step instruction of the worker on the screen
- Optical inspection of each individual assembly step
- Automatic switching on after successful execution of an assembly step
- Error message in case of faulty or forgotten assembly steps
- Automatic documentation of all assembly steps
- Integration of digital assembly tools
- Marking of points to be mounted by laser
- Interface to the company IT for seamless integration into your production control
SK Assembly Customer Video
Laser guided THT assembly at SIEMENS site in Fürth/Germany.
The worker is guided by an on-screen visual instruction and a laser projection directly on the PCB. All assembly steps are checked automatically in real-time. Faults are reported immediately.
- Simple teaching of new or modified test instructions
- Inspection of the test specimen on the basis of visual characteristics
- Reporting of detected errors
- Marking of the faulty areas on the screen
- Automatic documentation of the inspection result
- Instruction of the operator for complex testing processes
- Integration of digital measuring tools
- Marking of the defective spots by laser directly on the test specimen
SK Inspect Customer Video
Final optical inspection of injection molded parts at NIRA KVS GmbH in Mühlacker/Germany.
The challenge at NIRA is the large variety in production. 1,500 different injection molded parts have to be checked with up to 100 test criterias each. This required extensive expert knowledge and was very time consuming for the worker. The needed expert knowledge is now stored in the Smart Klaus test programs. This reduces the training effort for the workers to a minimum and cuts NIRA's inspection times by 75%.
- Easy training of new articles
- Identification of articles by optical features
- Provide and display master data for the identified article
- Interface for integration into your company IT
- Control of peripheral devices
SK Ident Customer Video
Identification of hard to distinguish IC trays.
Trays for IC production are collected in unsorted state for cleaning and reuse. The large number of 1,800+ different but similar tray types was a hard challenge to the workers. This task is now performed by Smart Klaus. The worker puts an IC tray below the camera and Smart Klaus tells him, which tray type it is and where to store it. Thus Smart Klaus eliminates the training requirements for the employees, minimizes the error rate and cuts the time for sorting and storage dramatically.
- Easy teaching of new articles
- Identification of articles by visual characteristics, barcode, DataMatrix code or text recognition (OCR)
- Optical check for the presence of visual characteristics
- Optical check for absence of visual characteristics (for example, known defect images)
- Optical inspection for dimensional accuracy
- Counting the articles and comparison with predefined lists
- Recording of the identified articles
- Instructing employees during complex incoming goods inspections
- Automatic documentation of incoming goods inspection (time stamp, serial number, test and measurement results, images)
- Connection of digital measuring tools
- Interface to the company IT for seamless integration into your flow of goods
SK Receipt Customer Video
Automatic identification and measurement of metallic hose couplings.
Smart Klaus identifies the hose couplings automatically and then runs an item specific quality check. This reduces the goods receipt inspection time by two thirds, makes testing faster and safer and thus enables the incoming goods department to perform a 100% quality check.
Need more information?
Electronic Assembly Products Ltd.
Sales and support representative for North America
2950 Production Court
Dayton, Ohio 45414 USA